Tiny homes have become the newest form of rave over the last few years. A range of benefits are attached to having a tiny home, such as-
- Decreased carbon footprint
- Increased savings
- More mobility
- Higher quality of life
- A minimalistic lifestyle with no clutter
While there are many advantages of having a tiny home, it is challenging to integrate the amenities of a regular house into a much smaller space in order to have it up and running. This makes one question, what exactly is it that tiny home builders do? And this piece will discuss exactly that in 3 parts.
There are a lot of aspects to be taken care of prior to commencing the building. Builders need to do intense brainstorming and list-making to cover everything that could possibly be required for the house. The following are some factors-
- Understanding the needs out of the house. This includes the size of the house, its purpose, number of people, etc.
- Searching for potential spaces/land to build on
- Creating a draft floor plan
- Chalking out the main features that are needed in the house
- Setting a budget and making expenditure charts to align both
Prior to building, tiny home builders accumulate tiny house components. These components are the basics of a tiny home as well as the ones identified in the preliminary stages. Some of the basics are-
- A trailer
- Toolbox with all the essentials
- Appliances for the kitchen
- Contact list of professionals that specialise in specific areas
Sorting out the logistics is a big part of the job that tiny house builders do. Getting through this process successfully makes it easy to navigate your way through the building process because there is a clear plan of action.
As mentioned before, if the planning phases are complete, then the builder feels comfortable stepping into the construction procedure. The following are overarching factors that builders cover in the construction phase-
- Selecting and getting the trailer ready
- Building the foundation (covers aspects such as metal frames, insulation, installing subfloors, vapour barriers, etc.)
- Wall framing
- Sheathing your tiny house and making all the materials ready to use
- Making rough windows and door openings
- Roof framing and sheathing
- Lights and skylights installation
- Installing doors and windows
- Plumbing, electricals, and gas lines
- Setting up the kitchen and bathroom (and their respective appliances)
- Arranging the sleeping loft
- Hanging wall panels
Post Construction and Conclusion
After the building phase is over, builders who will be living in the house can celebrate this huge accomplishment of building their homes themselves. As for those who are contracted, builders can hand the tiny home over to happy clients. Although there will be logistical issues in the future, as there are with every household, the role of a good builder is to make sure that these repairs are as rare as possible. So choose the best ones who fits in your budget.
Shrey Jain is the Co-Founder of Writofy & a Chartered Accountant who works with a team of creative content writers. He holds a forte in creating informative content on niches like crypto, business, fintech, digital marketing, and several others. In addition, his willingness to learn and share his knowledge can immensely help readers get valuable insights on varied topics.